Birdingonthe.Net

Recent Postings from
Indiana Birding

> Home > Mail
> Alerts

Updated on Monday, January 17 at 08:55 PM ET
The most recently received Mail is at the top.

Hammonds Flycatcher,©John Schmitt

17 Jan Lincoln's Sparrow Still Here [Landon Neumann ]
17 Jan Salamonie IC feeder area, kingfisher ["Fager, Lynnanne" ]
17 Jan Sullivan Co. NSHR, RSHAs [Jim Hengeveld ]
18 Jan Cagles Mill Lake - Cataract Falls ["Wilkins, Vern W" ]
17 Jan Mississinewa Res. area - Gold. Eagle, Snow Bunting, , WITU, PUFI [Don Gorney ]
17 Jan Lake Monroe ["Whitehead, Donald R." ]
17 Jan Ross's Goose, Terre Haute, Vigo County [Peter Scott ]
17 Jan Eagle Creek Park Sunday Jan 16 [G L Chastain ]
17 Jan YB Sapsucker [Vince Gresham ]
17 Jan Yard birds, Cedar Waxwing flock--SW Monroe Co ["Terri B. Greene" ]
17 Jan WVAS Program: Don Gorney [Marty L Jones ]
17 Jan Eagle Creek Park, Sunday 16,2011 [Don Williams ]
16 Jan Brief lakefront visit 1/16 [Terry Walsh ]
16 Jan Caracara-NO Sighting M Brown []
16 Jan Owl vs Hawk behavior [Dan Kaiser ]
16 Jan Pigeon River @ Steuben Co. []
16 Jan Re: Caracara - no sighting [Gary Bowman ]
16 Jan Kankakee Region: Northern Shrike [Jed Hertz ]
16 Jan SAS Short-eared Owl Trip January 15 2011 [Lee Sterrenburg ]
16 Jan Re: Caracara - no sighting [Michael Steiner ]
16 Jan RFI for a birding book; yard birds [Canyon Wren ]
16 Jan Raptors - Bloomington area [Jim Hengeveld ]
16 Jan Fairfax SRA - Lk. Monroe - 1/15 [Jim Hengeveld ]
16 Jan Mail [falarn ]

Subject: Lincoln's Sparrow Still Here
From: Landon Neumann <andreaneumann15 AT COMCAST.NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:55:32 -0500
http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/local/articles/2011/06/18/20110618arizo
na-fires-monument-fire-crews-hold.htmlhttp://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/l
ocal/articles/2011/06/18/20110618arizona-fires-monument-fire-crews-hold.html

The Lincoln's Sparrow is still here. It was seen yesterday and today. Another
feeder highlight today is that I had a male Purple Finch at my feeders with two

female Purple Finches. I have never had a male Purple Finch at my feeder let
alone my county! I always get females.

Landon Neumann
Logansport Cass County

listserv AT listserv.indiana.edu

With a message body (not subject line!) of: subscribe IN-BIRD-L FIRSTNAME
LASTNAME

where FIRSTNAME and LASTNAME are your real first and last names.
To contact the listowner, send an email to
in-bird-l-request AT listserv.indiana.edu

Subject: Salamonie IC feeder area, kingfisher
From: "Fager, Lynnanne" <LFager AT DNR.IN.GOV>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:48:36 -0500
Again, today, the BELTED KINGFISHER was in the wooded area around the feeders.
It flew off when I arrived for work (around 11 a.m.), but later in the day it
flew back in, perching in the walnut tree by the sidewalk bulletin board. The
only open water nearby is the little pond with waterfall in the viewing area.
Maybe it's fishing it? :)

At the feeders was a SONG SPARROW, along with all the other routine sparrows:
white-crowned, white-throated, house, tree.

The RED-HEADED WOODPECKERS were active, as well as the WILD TURKEY (a.k.a. wild
pigs! They really "gobble" down the food!). A CROW took a liking to the
platform feeder, and the area was loaded with cardinals.

Stop in, grab a cup of hot coffee and relax in the bird viewing area. Heated
restrooms available, 11 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Happy Birding!
Lynnanne

Lynnanne Fager, Interpretive Naturalist
Upper Wabash Interpretive Services
(Salamonie Lost Bridge West)
3691 S. New Holland Road
Andrews, IN 46702
260.468.2127
www.facebook.com/UpperWabash

Subject: Sullivan Co. NSHR, RSHAs
From: Jim Hengeveld <jhengeve AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 21:43:58 -0500
Yesterday afternoon (1/16), Phil & Jo Kelly and Susan & I birded the
Dugger Unit of Greene-Sullivan S.F. and, at dusk, the Beehunter Units
of Goose Pond FWA.  We spent some time in Brown Co. in the morning.
Highlights included the NORTHERN SHRIKE at Dugger that David Daniels
reported on Saturday, 2 GR. WHITE-FRONTED GEESE and an ad. male MERLIN
at Dugger, and 11 RED-SHOULDERED HAWKS for the day.

Dugger and surrounding area (Sullivan Co.):

   -2 Gr. White-fr. Geese
   -800+ Canada Geese
   -35 Mallards
   -2 Am. Black Ducks
   -4 Canvasbacks
   -25 Ring-necked Ducks
   -12 Common Goldeneye
   -18 Ruddy Ducks
   -5 Northern Bobwhite
   -1 Pied-billed Grebe
   -2 Northern Harriers
   -1 Bald Eagle
   -2 Red-shouldered Hawks
   -1 Red-tailed Hawk
   -2 Rough-legged Hawks
   -1 Merlin (ad. male)
   -50 Am. Coot
   -1 Northern Shrike
   -1 No. Mockingbird

Beehunter Units 4 & 5 and area along CR 100S to the east (Greene Co.):

   -3 No. Harriers
   -2 Rough-legged Hawks
   -5 Short-eared Owls
   -1 No. Mockingbird
   -2  Savannah Sparrows
   -2 White-crowned Sparrows
   -15 E. Meadowlarks

Other birds seen in transit:

   -17 Wild Turkeys - just east of Bloomfield (Greene Co.)
   -6 Red-shouldered Hawks in Brown Co., 3 in Greene Co., for a total
of 11 on the day
   -3 Am. Kestrels (Greene Co.)

Phil & Jo Kelly,
Kokomo, IN

Jim & Susan Hengeveld
Unionville, IN

Subject: Cagles Mill Lake - Cataract Falls
From: "Wilkins, Vern W" <vwilkins AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2011 01:26:45 +0000
Not a lot of activity but I did find a few White-Crowned Sparrows along one of
the small creeks off Mill Creek. There were also some domestic ducks, 3 Pekin
Ducks and 1 Magpie Duck, in Mill Creek around the upper falls. I stopped by
Lieber SRA too, but as I expected the lake was completely frozen and there
wasn't much activity. The lake and Mill Creek are both very low still.

There's a significant Turkey Vulture roost across from the entrance to Cataract
Falls. There were at least 25 there when I left and many more in the air.

http://vw.homelinux.net/z/picture.php?/1413/category/38
http://vw.homelinux.net/z/picture.php?/1414/category/38

Vern

Location:    Cataract Falls
Observation date:    1/17/11
Number of species:    21

Turkey Vulture    X
Cooper's Hawk    1
Red-tailed Hawk    1
American Kestrel    1
Mourning Dove    X
Red-headed Woodpecker    X
Red-bellied Woodpecker    X
Downy Woodpecker    X
Pileated Woodpecker    2
Blue Jay    X
American Crow    X
Carolina Chickadee    X
Tufted Titmouse    X
White-breasted Nuthatch (Eastern)    X
Cedar Waxwing    X
Song Sparrow    X
White-throated Sparrow    X
White-crowned Sparrow    3
Dark-eyed Junco    X
Northern Cardinal    X
American Goldfinch    X

Subject: Mississinewa Res. area - Gold. Eagle, Snow Bunting, , WITU, PUFI
From: Don Gorney <dongorney AT YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 12:03:05 -0800
I birded a portion of Mississinewa Reservoir, Miami and Wabash counties, and
surrounding area this morning, January 17, from 7:15am to about 11am. Lynnanne
Fager met me at the eagle roost and showed me other areas where she has been
seeing the eagles. Also present at the eagle roost bridge (previously
mentioned by Lynnanne) were Al Christ, Beth Deimling and friends.

Highlights for the day were Bald Eagle (43), Golden Eagle (1), Wild Turkey (9),
Lapland Longspur, Snow Bunting, and Purple Finch. The eagle roost is
fascinating because you actually see the birds roosting, unlike the Parke
County site which is on private property and you see the birds in flight. My
high count at the roost was 39 perched and 3 that had flown for a total of 42
(about 20 perched in one scope view). After I left Lynnane at 10am, I reversed
my route and counted 43 Balds. This included traveling north from the roost
bridge to SR 124 (20 at the reservoir, 8 at the dam and FAR tailwater area, 2
in flight near the dam, 11 at the roost, and 2 additional ones past Seven
Pillars).

Lynnanne found the Golden Eagle for me but made me stand in the below wind
chill temps at the Mississinewa beach to see it across the reservoir. A scope
was necessary. We could not see all of the tail due to a sycamore tree limb,
but it did not appear to be the first-cycle bird that Lynnanne has seen and
photographed. There was some pale on the undertail but not a white band. The
bird flew when we were not looking.

Two Snow Buntings were with Horned Larks on the east side of Frances Slocum
about .5 mile south of SR 124. Four Purple Finches including an adult male
were feeding with juncos on the road below the dame near the Peoria fishing
site. The Wild Turkeys were on the west side of the road and were found by
someone in Al Christ's group. Sightings at and near Mississinewa are below
followed by misc. sightings seen on the way home.

Location: Mississinewa Lake--Dam
Observation date: 1/17/11
Number of species: 28
Golden Eagle and some Balds were seen in Wabash County. Everything else is
from Miami County.

Mallard 3
Wild Turkey 9
Great Blue Heron 3
Bald Eagle 43
Red-tailed Hawk 3
Golden Eagle 1
Mourning Dove 42
Belted Kingfisher 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker 4
Downy Woodpecker 1
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 2
Blue Jay 1
American Crow 17
Horned Lark 25
Carolina Chickadee 1
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Carolina Wren 1
Eastern Bluebird 1
American Robin 28
European Starling 125
Dark-eyed Junco 45
Snow Bunting 2
Northern Cardinal 6
Purple Finch 4
American Goldfinch 2
House Sparrow 20

I traveled country roads looking for longspurs and Snow Buntings on the way
home. Places where I found them are listed below.

Miami County 700S/550E

Horned Lark 7; Snow Bunting 29

Quad-county area of Grant, Howard, Tipton, and Madison

Grant County: Horned Lark 40; Lapland Longspur 3

Howard County (at tri-county border): Horned Lark 35; Lapland Longspur 9; Snow
Bunting 7

Tipton County (south of tri-county border, birds also seen in Madison County
when they flew across road): Horned Lark 25; Lapland Longspur 45; Snow Bunting
2

In Madison County at SR 37 and 700N I had a flock of larks and longspurs (125+
total birds) but could not stop due to traffic.

Don Gorney

Amos W. Butler Audubon Society, President

Lights Out Indy, Program Director

Indianapolis, IN

dongorney AT yahoo.com

amosbutleraudubon.org

lightsoutindy.org

Subject: Lake Monroe
From: "Whitehead, Donald R." <whitehea AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 15:00:51 -0500
This morning I birded various spots on Monroe, beginning at Fairfax and
ending up at Paynetown and Cutright. Very little activity on the lake,
despite increasing amounts of open water. The highlights;

Fairfax Road:
    Black Vulture - 5 (perched in tree about 4 miles N of Fairfax)
    Red-tailed Hawk - 2

Fairfax (despite much more open water visible from the launch ramp, the
large flock of ducks that has been there for the past few days was not
visible - perhaps because a lot of the open water can not been seen
behind the nearby point):
     Bufflehead - 1
     Common Merganser - 12 (flying)
     Bald Eagle - 1 (juv - sitting on ice off of the beach)
     Pied-billed Grebe - 9 (in open water in marina)

Paynetown:
     Bald Eagle - 1 (adult)
     ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK - 1 (adult female light phase) - flew right in front
          of me at the N end of the causeway, coming from Shawnee Bluffs -
          continued on along the ridge over Mellencamp's house - this is the
          first Rough-leg I have seen at the E end of the lake in many years -
          a beautiful bird in wonderful light.

Cutright:
     Common Merganser - 3
     Hooded Merganser - 4
     Bald Eagle - 2 (1 adult, 1 Basic I)
     Yellow-bellied Sapsucker - 1 (in persimmon tree at near house boat
          marina - where it has been all winter!)

Don Whitehead
Bloomington
whitehea AT indiana.edu

Subject: Ross's Goose, Terre Haute, Vigo County
From: Peter Scott <Peter.Scott AT INDSTATE.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 14:30:42 -0500
Today at noon, on the east side of Terre Haute, Diana Hews and I scanned a very
large flock of Canada Geese, perhaps 3000, grazing in fields along State
Highway 46 at the intersection with Poplar Avenue, on the east site of Hwy 46
(across from Village Quarter Apts). This is about 1 mile west of Hulman
Airfield. There was 1 ROSS'S GOOSE at the far, easternmost edge of the flock of
geese. Though at least 300 yards distant, I feel confident of the ID (through
scope) based on size comparison with neighboring Canadas (roughly three times
as large) and Crows, its round head, and short beak.

We saw no other geese species, just 200 or so Mallards and a few American Black
Ducks.

Peter E. Scott, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Department of Biology
Indiana State University

Subject: Eagle Creek Park Sunday Jan 16
From: G L Chastain <glcbirds AT MSN.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 13:42:24 -0500
I have one bird to add to the Eagle Creek Park list for yesterday -
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. (I wasn't able to stay until the list was made.)

Gordon Chastain
Indianapolis

Subject: YB Sapsucker
From: Vince Gresham <dempsey618 AT YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:48:43 -0500
We've had a yellow-bellied sapsucker picking at the fruits of an ornamental
tree in the lawn of the nature center today. I think this is our first winter
record.

Vince
Rum Village Nature Center
South Bend, IN
St. Joseph County

Subject: Yard birds, Cedar Waxwing flock--SW Monroe Co
From: "Terri B. Greene" <tgreene AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:32:58 -0500
Timing is everything.  While watching birds at the feeders, I noticed
a flock of birds land in a treetop:  18 Cedar Waxwings.  Nice
binocular looks.  Below is a snapshot of the birds at my feeders and
in the yard yesterday.

Terri Greene
SW Monroe Co

Observation date:     1/16/11

Mourning Dove     44
Red-bellied Woodpecker     1
Downy Woodpecker     2
Hairy Woodpecker     1
Blue Jay     4
American Crow     3
Carolina Chickadee     1
Tufted Titmouse     1
White-breasted Nuthatch     1
Cedar Waxwing     18
Eastern Towhee     2
American Tree Sparrow     8
Fox Sparrow     1
Song Sparrow     1
White-throated Sparrow     1
Dark-eyed Junco     8
Northern Cardinal     7
Purple Finch     4
House Finch     7
American Goldfinch     14
House Sparrow     3

Subject: WVAS Program: Don Gorney
From: Marty L Jones <indth33 AT YAHOO.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 11:23:48 -0500
This Wednesday, January 19th, Don Gorney will present "Urban Bird
Conservation" at 7:00 PM at the Vigo County Public Library, 7th and
Poplar Street in Terre Haute.  All members and non-members are
welcome to join us.

Marty Jones
President
Wabash Valley Audubon Society
www.wabashvalleyaudubon.org
Suite 2338
Terre Haute, Indiana 47802-2338
317-696-6246 | indth33 AT yahoo.com

Subject: Eagle Creek Park, Sunday 16,2011
From: Don Williams <sailbird AT TDS.NET>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 10:32:33 -0500
Total species count for the day was 43.  List includes-

Great Blue Heron
Canada Goose
Mute Swan
American Black Duck
Mallard
Northern Shoveler
Redhead
Common Goldeneye
Bald Eagle
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Pileated Woodpecker
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
Red-breasted Nuthatch
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Northern Mockingbird
European Starling
Eastern Towhee
American Tree Sparrow
Fox Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Purple Finch
House Finch
American Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Sunday bird walk begins at the Ornithology Center at 9 AM.  All are welcomed.

Don Williams

Subject: Brief lakefront visit 1/16
From: Terry Walsh <taw327 AT ATT.NET>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 22:41:32 -0500
I made a brief lakefront visit this morning (Sunday, 1/16) but found no
great surprises. No Purple Sandpiper at Whiting Refinery (at least from
8:30-9:30 am) but did see two GBB, 1 Glaucous and one 1w Thayer's Gull, and
a lonesome American Pipit on the beach. Many shoals of diving ducks at
Whiting Park. No Black-legged Kittiwake (reported yesterday) at Calumet Park
but hundreds of gulls, diving and dabbling ducks out in the bay. Also a
Northern Shrike and four Red-shouldered Hawks along Beverly Drive in Beverly
Shores.

Terry Walsh

Zionsville, IN

Subject: Caracara-NO Sighting M Brown
From: MikePytlak AT AOL.COM
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 21:11:00 -0500
1-16-11     I went to visit my mother in Harrison  County this weekend and
spent 4 hours on Saturday 1-15-11 looking for the  Caracara at sighting
location and southeast of there. I also spent 2 hours today on Sunday 1-16-11.

  I did run across a Vulture roost along Hwy  64 a few miles east of there
on south side of hwy that I stopped and looked at  (around 11 am) but there
were only about 5 TV's sitting plus two  flying at that time.  I saw
roadkill about every 12 miles on average. Only crows and one Red-shouldered
Hawk

were feeding on  roadkill.

Michael Brown
Terre Haute
_MikePytlak AT aol.com_ (mailto:MikePytlak AT aol.com)

Subject: Owl vs Hawk behavior
From: Dan Kaiser <dhkaiser AT SPRYNET.COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:06:04 -0500
IN-Birders,

This late afternoon, right at sunset, Barb and I came across a Barred
Owl perched in a small tree at Muscatatuck NWR.  We observed and
photographed the owl for a few minutes when it suddenly acted startled,
a quick jump and then looked over it's shoulder and froze.

 Now I have observed many owls on many occasions, however I have never
seen an owl sit completely still for 15 minutes.  I mean I did not even
see it blink.    After watching this owl stay frozen for about  4 or 5
minutes I knew something was up and started scanning the direction the
owl was facing.  That is when I found a Red-tailed Hawk perched high in
a tree some 75 yards behind the owl.

After 15 minutes the hawk took flight and the owl slowly turned it's
head watching the hawk fly over head.   We confirmed the time span with
the time stamps on photographs.  I had never considered a Red-tailed
Hawk as a potential threat for a Barred Owl, evidently this owl thought
so.

Photo at http://www.flickr.com/photos/dhkaiser/

Dan Kaiser
Columbus

Subject: Pigeon River @ Steuben Co.
From: Jhawillet AT AOL.COM
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 20:02:36 -0500
It was a very nice day, comparatively speaking, for this winter:  very
cold (5-20) but with little wind and considerable sunshine in the morning.   I
did a drive through Pigeon River FWA in Lagrange and Steuben Counties, then
meandered around western Steuben Co. checking strategic spots and finally
went  into eastern Steuben, turning south on Steuben Co. 700S and DeKalb Co.
CR 71 to  Butler, then home via SR 1, 101, and 37.  There is very little
open water,  even at Pigeon R. at the pools at Naseby Dam (completely frozen)
and the Mongo  millpond (95% frozen).

I recorded 45 species, my highest day total of the year so far.
Highlights were several semi-hardy species that are uncommon or rare in winter
here

in the Indiana arctic.  I'm rather surprised that so many semi-hardy  birds
are wintering in this exceptionally cold, snowy year.

Going down the east side of Steuben, I did not see the Northern Shrike that
 Jeff McCoy et al found on the Pokagon CBC NW of 700E and 200N, although I
drove  the area three times.  There is so much good shrike habitat, much of
it  well off the road, that it easily could have been there.  I also checked
 the area east of Hamilton where extensive grassy, weedy fields once
supported a  good winter population of Short-eared Owls.  There is no more
grassland there; it's all cornfields now. I did run across one field with
rather

good Short-eared Owl habitat in NE DeKalb Co., on the west side of  CR 71
just north of CR 12.  Whether or not there are any owls is, of course,
another question.

Canada Goose
Mute Swan
WOOD DUCK 2, pair; L. James/Jimmerson L. channel, Steuben Co.
Am. Black Duck
Mallard
Ring-necked Pheasant 1 Steuben Co.
Bald Eagle 1 a, in an odd spot:  Steuben 650E between 300 & 400N,  the
longspur/snow bunting road
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 flew across SR3 S of Kendallville, Noble Co.
Red-tailed Hawk
Am. Kestrel 2
VIRGINIA RAIL 1, Marsh Lake, Steuben; I didn't use tape to try for the
second one
Am. Coot 8, James/Jimmerson channel
Killdeer 5 Fawn R. Fish Hatchery
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Red-headed Woodpecker 1 Pigeon R., 1 Pokagon feeders
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Hairy Woodpecker
N. Flicker
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Horned Lark
Black-capped Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-br. Nuthatch
Brown Creeper 1 Pigeon R.
Golden-cr. Kinglet 1 Pigeon R., 1 Pine Canyon in Steuben
E. Bluebird
Eur. Starling
Am. Tree Sparrow
FIELD SPARROW 1 Pigeon R.
Song Sparrow 2 Fawn R. Fish Hatchery
SWAMP SPARROW 2 Pigeon R.
White-throated Sparrow 2 Pigeon R.
Dark-eyed Junco
Lapland Longspur 19 Steuben Co., 1 DeKalb Co.
Snow Bunting 80 Steuben (most longspurs and buntings at their two most
reliable Steuben spots, Bachelor Rd. and 550W, and 650E between 300 &  400N)
N. Cardinal
Brown-headed Cowbird 1 Bachelor & 550W, Steuben
Purple Finch 4 Pigeon R.
House Finch
Pine Siskin 1 feeder on S side of Wall Lake, Lagrange Co.
Am. Goldfinch
House Sparrow

Jim Haw

Subject: Re: Caracara - no sighting
From: Gary Bowman <otus44 AT SBCGLOBAL.NET>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:43:42 -0500
Michael and others,

Thanks for the suggestion. This had been mentioned to us. Unfortunately, there
have been no vultures seen anywhere close to the area, at least not by us. We
did see one lone vulture yesterday about ten miles from the site in the
Somerville mine area south of Oakland City. We checked a little for the
caracara again today but didn't put in the time that we had on our first two
tries.

Gary Bowman
Vincennes

At 05:48 PM 1/16/2011 -0500, you wrote:
>I am not sure everyone's strategy, but from what I could find in the
literature the Crested Caracara is known to feed and fly with other vultures.
May be a long shot, but if you find a group of vultures working around it may
pay off to look through them before moving on. Good luck and I hope that
someone finds it because I would love to see the pictures!

Subject: Kankakee Region: Northern Shrike
From: Jed Hertz <jhh_60910 AT YAHOO.COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 15:37:39 -0800
Hi all,
The Kankakee Region temps have stayed below freezing this week with a low of 1
degree this morning(Sunday the 16th of Jan.) and a high of ~30 on Monday the
10th.  ~Four inches of snow fell on Tuesday the 11th and has remained through
the period. The Kankakee River, still open below the dams, continues to recede,

attracting eagles to both Kankakee and Wilmington (See Gary Soper’s recent
photos from Kankakee).  Here’s a few records of note from this past week:

***** Eurasian Collared-Dove (70) 1/12/11: My new HC (63 Previous HC on
12/8/10)

***** Long-eared Owl (1) 1/16/11: Confirmed my Probable sighting of 12/17/10.

***** Northern Flicker (1-4): Seem quite common this winter with sightings on
13

of 16 days recently.

***** Pileated Woodpecker (1 – Female) 1/14/11: My 7th LeVasseur Park/Perry
Farm

sighting in ~10 yrs.

***** Northern Shrike (1 Ad) 1/16/11: FOY and 1st since 11/20/09.

***** Yellow-rumped Warbler (1) 1/10/11: My FOY and 1st since 11/15/10.

***** American Tree Sparrow (360 at sunflower field) 1/16/11: My 6th highest
total (505 my highest on 2/18/03).

***** Savannah Sparrow (3) 1/15/11: My 7th Jan. sighting in ~10 yrs.

Here’s my weekly tally for the Kankakee Region, including some IN birds
(Earliest sightings shown):

Anatidae 15
3 Greater White-fronted Goose 01/13/2011
250 Canada Goose 01/10/2011  .
1 Mute Swan 01/15/2011
3 Wood Duck 01/10/2011 F + 2 M
1 Gadwall 01/12/2011 M
2 American Wigeon 01/15/2011
10 American Black Duck 01/10/2011
240 Mallard 01/10/2011
2 Northern Pintail 01/10/2011 M
4 Redhead 01/10/2011
2 Ring-necked Duck 01/10/2011
4 Common Goldeneye 01/10/2011
2 Hooded Merganser 01/12/2011 F
1 Common Merganser 01/10/2011
1 Red-breasted Merganser 01/12/2011 F

Phasianidae 1
1 Ring-necked Pheasant 01/10/2011

Podicipedidae 1
3 Pied-billed Grebe 01/12/2011

Phalacrocoracidae 1
2 Double-crested Cormorant 01/15/2011

Ardeidae 1
3 Great Blue Heron 01/10/2011

Accipitridae 6
1 Bald Eagle 01/10/2011 Adult
1 Northern Harrier 01/12/2011 imm male
1 Sharp-shinned Hawk 01/14/2011
1 Cooper's Hawk 01/10/2011
1 Red-tailed Hawk 01/10/2011 Imm
1 Rough-legged Hawk 01/15/2011 Dark Morph (Sighted 5 together on 1/16/11)

Falconidae 1
1 American Kestrel 01/12/2011

Rallidae 1
3 American Coot 01/12/2011

Laridae 2
8 Ring-billed Gull 01/10/2011
1 Herring Gull 01/10/2011

Columbidae 3
25 Rock Pigeon 01/10/2011
70 Eurasian Collared-Dove 01/12/2011 New HC
4 Mourning Dove 01/10/2011

Strigidae 2
1 Great Horned Owl 01/10/2011 On perch
1 Long-eared Owl 01/16/2011 Different location than INWS CBC bird.

Cerylidae 1
1 Belted Kingfisher 01/10/2011

Picidae 6
1 Red-headed Woodpecker 01/12/2011
2 Red-bellied Woodpecker 01/10/2011
1 Downy Woodpecker 01/10/2011
1 Hairy Woodpecker 01/10/2011
3 Northern Flicker 01/10/2011
1 Pileated Woodpecker 01/14/2011 Female; h/o; photo

Laniidae 1
1 Northern Shrike 01/16/2011 Adult; sunflower field; FOY: photo

Corvidae 2
3 Blue Jay 01/10/2011
8 American Crow 01/10/2011

Paridae 2
5 Black-capped Chickadee 01/10/2011
1 Tufted Titmouse 01/10/2011

Sittidae 2
1 Red-breasted Nuthatch 01/16/2011 Female continues in N. Red Pine grove.
1 White-breasted Nuthatch 01/10/2011

Certhiidae 1
1 Brown Creeper 01/14/2011

Troglodytidae 1
1 Carolina Wren 01/10/2011

Turdidae 2
1 Hermit Thrush 01/14/2011
4 American Robin 01/10/2011

Sturnidae 1
4 European Starling 01/10/2011

Bombycillidae 1
3 Cedar Waxwing 01/15/2011

Parulidae 1
1 Yellow-rumped Warbler 01/10/2011 Near feeders; FOY and 1st since 11/15/10.

Emberizidae 7
4 American Tree Sparrow 01/10/2011
3 Savannah Sparrow 01/15/2011 Along rocky shoreline.
4 Song Sparrow 01/10/2011
1 Swamp Sparrow 01/14/2011
4 White-throated Sparrow 01/10/2011
18 Dark-eyed Junco 01/10/2011
2 Lapland Longspur 01/16/2011

Cardinalidae 1
12 Northern Cardinal 01/10/2011

Icteridae 3
205 Red-winged Blackbird 01/16/2011 Mostly female
1 Common Grackle 01/11/2011
1 Brown-headed Cowbird 01/11/2011 F

Fringillidae 3
2 House Finch 01/10/2011
10 Pine Siskin 01/16/2011 Sunflower field; Photo
1 American Goldfinch 01/10/2011

Passeridae 1 10House Sparrow01/10/2011
 Jed Hertz
Kankakee, Kankakee Co, IL (60 mi South of Chicago)

Photos/Videos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jhertz/

Subject: SAS Short-eared Owl Trip January 15 2011
From: Lee Sterrenburg <sterren AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 18:02:07 -0500
Yesterday afternoon and evening (January 15 2011) Don Allen and I led a
Sassafras Audubon Society trip to the Beehunter Marsh section of Goose Pond FWA
in Greene County and Bear Run Mine formerly AKA Hawthorn Mine in Sullivan
County. Our announced target species was Short-eared Owl.

Participants included Melanie Arnold, David Atkinson, Michelle Gray, Diana
Hackenburg, Chris Harshaw, Charlotte Holly, Janet Kelley, Gregory Kohn, Bill
Manwaring, Liza Olson, Keegan Ramey, David Rupp, Anne Sharp, Terry Wise, and
maybe couple other folks for whom I don't have names.

Conditions were chilly and windy. All water was frozen except for parts of the
pond on SR 67 south of Switz City. The actions of well over 1000 geese may keep
some of that pond open. Otherwise solid ice everywhere including all the
shallow water wetlands at Goose Pond FWA, all the deep strip mine ponds at Bear
Run (Hawthorn), the big pond on Greene Co. CR 1500 W south of County Line
Marsh, and all running water in creeks.

Skies were overcast. Temperatures remained the low 30s F but it seemed colder
than that on damp day with afternoon winds W and then NW 13-15 mph gusting to
23-24 mph.

The trip did well on raptors. We ended with fine and close encounters with 4
SHORT-EARED OWLS at Beehunter Marsh. One SEOW perched on a pipe allowing scope
views for nearly all. The owls did a lot of foraging flights and aerial
acrobatics.

The flock of 400+ GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE at the pond on SR 67 provided the
waterfowl highlight. Scope views of the geese on the ice and shore.

We crossed back and forth between Greene and Sullivan Counties several times
and I did not keep lists by location for everything. In the annotations G=
Greene County, S=Sullivan County.

Here is a conglomerate trip list:

GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE 400+  pond on SR 67 G
Canada Goose  700+  pond on SR 67  G
Mallard 47    pond on SR 67 G
Common Goldeneye 1   female, pond on SR 67 G
Northern Bobwhite 3 Goose Pond FWA, flew across SR 59 landing in little
bluestem west of the DNR barn, probably by lead vehicle only

Wild Turkey 3    Bear Run S, Don Allen vehicle only?
Great Blue Heron 1   GPFWA Beehunter Marsh G
Bald Eagle 2 adults flying to night roost at Beehunter Marsh BH4 & BH5S G

Northern Harrier 25
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Bear Run area on G county side, brief view from inside
vehicle

Cooper's Hawk 2 1 perched with distant scope views Bear Run S, 1 lead vehicle
only Monroe Co on the way

Red-shouldered Hawk 5 1 commuting Monore Co, 2 Beehunter Marsh G, 2 Sullivan
including 1 adult on CR 800 S at Bear Run

Red-tailed Hawk 16
Rough-legged Hawk 5 1 Beehunter Marsh G by some vehicles; 3 light morph & 1
dark morph at Bear Run S

American Kestrel 5     2 GPFWA Main Pool West driving by, 3 Bear Run area
Rock Pigeon 180     Beehunter Marsh BH2
Morning Dove 50     some in groups in stubble corn fields
SHORT-EARED OWL 4     GPFWA Beehunter Marsh BH5S, before and after sunset
Red-bellied Woodpecker 5
Yellow-shafted Flicker 3
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Blue Jay 24
American Crow X  did not count
Horned Lark 2        CR 100 S G
Carolina Wren 3
Eastern Bluebird 6    all G
Northern Mockingbird 1   near Beehunter Marsh G
European Starling X  did not count, 100s
American Tree Sparrow 110
Song Sparrow 5
Swamp Sparrow 4
White-crowned Sparrow 30 22 at feeders on CR 100 S east of Beehunter Marsh G, 8
Beehunter Marsh BH4

Dark-eyed Junco 75
Red-winged Blackbird 25  G  Bear Run area G side
Eastern Meadowlark 2    Bear Run/Hawthorn S
Common Grackle 15   Bear Run/Hawthorn area G side
Brown-headed Cowbird 150 in big Starling flock at a house on G side south of
Bear Run/Hawthorn

House Sparrow 50   mostly G

We did a 20 minute stake out at the Merlin perching site on CR 300 S in the far
north end of Bear Run Mine. While we were there no Merlins perch up on the high
power poles with winds gusting into the low to mid 20s mph.

Thanks to Don Allen for organizing the trip and to all who came along in chilly
and frozen conditions.

--Lee Sterrenburg and Don Allen
Bloomington

From: Michael Steiner <northernshoveler AT HOTMAIL.COM>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 17:48:17 -0500
I am not sure everyone's strategy, but from what I could find in the literature
the Crested Caracara is known to feed and fly with other vultures. May be a
long shot, but if you find a group of vultures working around it may pay off to
look through them before moving on. Good luck and I hope that someone finds it
because I would love to see the pictures!

Good birding,

Michael Steiner

> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 15:18:01 -0800
> From: dongorney AT YAHOO.COM
> Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Caracara - no sighting
> To: IN-BIRD-L AT LISTSERV.INDIANA.EDU
>
> I spoke with Lee Sterrenburg late in the day on Friday, January 14. Despite
birders being in the field looking for the Crested Caracara, he is not aware of
it being relocated. The bird would be a first state record if accepted by the
Indiana Bird Records Committee.

> Fortunately, two nearly identical photos were obtained by the hunter who
reported the bird. A photo of the bird is on the Amos W. Butler Audubon
Facebook page. The other object in the photo is reported to be a mole.

Subject: RFI for a birding book; yard birds
From: Canyon Wren <canyonwren AT COMCAST.NET>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 13:19:21 -0600
Hi IN-Birders,
There were a few American Crows near my home in LaPorte County this morning.
Other than feeder birds, nothing else of note.

On a different note: I am looking to purchase a used copy of The Field Guide to
the Birds of Australia, 8th Edition by Pizzey, Graham / Knight, Frank.

Does anyone have a copy of this book that they would be willing to sell? If so,
please reply to me privately.

Thank you and Good birding!

Lynea

Lynea Hinchman
Michigan City, Indiana
Heart of the Indiana Dunes
CanyonWrenatComcastdotnet
http://www.flickr.com/photos/canyon_wren

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived though its first
material expression be destroyed.  A vanished harmony may yet again inspire
the composer, but when the last individual of a race of living beings
breathes no more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a
one can be again."  William Beebe

Subject: Raptors - Bloomington area
From: Jim Hengeveld <jhengeve AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 10:14:02 -0500
We've seen some interesting raptors just driving around the
Bloomington area the past couple of days.  On Friday (1/14), we saw a
gorgeous rufous-morph (or intermediate western) RED-TAILED HAWK just
north of Dolan on old SR-37.  Yesterday (1/16) on the way back from
Lk. Monroe, we saw a COOPER'S HAWK at the corner of 3rd St. X Smith
Rd., a RED-SHOULDERED HAWK along SR-45 northeast of New Unionville,
and a female-plumaged MERLIN on Snoddy Rd. 0.5 mi. south of Rogers Rd.

Jim & Susan Hengeveld
Unionville, IN

Subject: Fairfax SRA - Lk. Monroe - 1/15
From: Jim Hengeveld <jhengeve AT INDIANA.EDU>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2011 09:59:54 -0500
Late in the afternoon yesterday from the new boat-launch ramp  at
Fairfax yesterday, the number of COMMON MERGANSERS had climbed to 69.
There was also a single (f) RED-BR. MERGANSER, 9 HOODED MERGANSERS,
and 5 COMMON GOLDENEYE.

Jim & Susan & Griffin Hengeveld
Unionville & Bloomington, IN

Subject: Mail